Full schedule with times: BCCB CONFERENCE_SCHEDULE_WEB
Master of Ceremonies – Carlos Mendes of Richards Buell Sutton LLP
- Opening KEYNOTE – Insights and Updates: Doing Business with BCLDB and BCLCRB. Sairose Fisher Director of Wholesale Supply Chain, Dmitry Batishchev Category Manager, Vince Cournoyer Senior Policy and Legislative Analyst. PANEL. Moderated by Carlos Mendes of RBS. Presented by Richards, Buell, Sutton LLP
- Yeast Management in the Brewhouse – Speakers and presented by Owen and Casey Helwig of Imperial Yeast. Basic yeast management from A to Z in the brewhouse. We’ll cover everything from strain selection and pitching rates to quantification and basic quality control.
- Brewing up Safety! Speaker: Alanna McBride, Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Professional. Brewing up Safety will identify top 2 safety risks for breweries and what owners, managers, supervisors and staff can do to ensure everyone remains safe, healthy and legally compliant. Attendees will leave with a checklist of items they can implement to ensure compliance. Presented by TRG Group Benefits.
- Trademark and Branding – Speakers: Leif Miltenberger of Hired Guns Creative, Trisha Doré of RBS and Ben Reeder of Backcountry Brewing. PANEL Carlos Mendes (RBS Law) moderating. Presented by Great Little Box Co.
- 100 % Hindsight – What I would do differently now that I know... Speakers: Gary Lindsay of Driftwood Brewery, Adam Crandall of Moody Ales, Darren Hollett of House of Funk Brewing. PANEL Moderated by Carlos Mendes of RBS. Presented by Direct Tap.
- All Things Brewery Insurance – Speaker and presented by Matt Arruda of Capri/CMW Insurance Services Ltd.
- “Craft Brewing Social Media: Document … Don’t Create” Speakers: Jorden Foss of Steel & Oak, Josh Vanderheide of Field House and Marissa Mills of Parallel 49. PANEL Moderated by Monica Frost of BC Craft Brewers Guild and BC Ale Trail. Presented by Great Little Box Co.
- BC Ale Trail – Discover the power of BC Craft Beer’s biggest tourism marketing campaign and its impact on your business. Speakers: Melanie Ransome BC Ale Trail Project Manager, Paul Kamon BCAT Project Administrator and Sunshine Coast Tourism, Kim Hood Manager of Marketing Co-op Services, Destination BC, and Tim Fry of 468 Communications. PANEL Moderated by Paul Hadfield of BCAT and Spinnakers. Presented by Capri/CMW Insurance.
- Let’s Go Hazy – The Do’s and Don’ts of Hazy beers. Speakers: Julia Hanlon of Steamworks, Matt Kohlen of Superflux and John Follinsbee of Backcountry. PANEL Moderated by Graham With of Parallel 49. Presented by West Coast Canning.
- How to Survive an Audit – Speakers: Jose Barranco of WorkSafeBC, Kristian Hui of CRA, and Randy Brown of BCLCLB manufacturing. PANEL Moderated by Nancy More of KPU. Presented by TRG Group Benefits.
- Econse – Water Purification Systems – Speakers: Derek Davy and Erin Brophy of Econse. PANEL Presented by West Coast Canning.
- Closing KEYNOTE – The State of the Craft Brewing Market in North America. Speaker: Bart Watson, Chief Economist for the Brewers Association. Presented by RBS.
- Experimental Hop Beer Sensory Analysis: Presented by Dwayne Stewart, BC Hop Co. Tasting
- Getting Toasted: A Barrel’s Story: Presented by Squarrel Barrels and East Van Brewing. Tasting
- Financial Solutions for Young and Startup Breweries: Young brewers and startups are often unaware of what sources of capital they have access to, and how to look for them. In this panel we have combined multiple partners to speak about Government Grants, SR&ED tax credits, EBC tax credits, crowdsourced equity, and senior financing solutions, a truly holistic approach to financial questions. Breakout session presented by RBC Group. Speakers:
Speakers: 1) Mike Sali – RBC Commercial Financial Services, 2) Stephanie Sang – Granted BC, 3) Jasper Dikmans – FrontFundr and 4) Andrew McRae – Newport Group
- Accelerating Growth for Established Breweries: Established breweries often face hurdles bringing their businesses to the next level. There are many areas in which they can increase efficiency and tap into resources that will help them grow. Here we are focused on equipment financing, equity withdrawal, employee loyalty and retention, SR&ED tax credits, strategic planning, and forecasting. Breakout session presented by RBC Group. Speakers: 1)Jessica Ostergaard – RBC Equipment Finance Group, 2)Chloe Ellis – RBC Group Advantage, 3)Andrew McRae – Newport Group and 4)Rae Holgado from ADP.
Conference MC Carlos Mendes BIO
Carlos is the head of Richard Buell Sutton LLP’s Craft Brewery Practice Group – the only group of its kind in Canada. He acts as general counsel to numerous BC breweries, assisting them with all of their diverse legal needs. You may know Carlos by his Twitter handle (@bcbeerlaw) and blog (www.bcbeerlaw.com), or may have read one of his biweekly articles in Scout Magazine. You may have also seen him in a suit and tie speaking at a conference or event about the regulation of BC’s beer industry. Or, you may just know him as that bearded, tattooed lawyer you always talk to at beer festivals.