KPU Brewing Chemistry Basics Starting Aug 19
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is home to BC’s only Brewing & Brewery Operations Diploma program and, this summer, we’ll be offering a revised Brewing Chemistry Basics continuing studies short course that’s open to the public.
Whether you’re prepping for first-year brewing science, are an avid homebrewer or simply like geeking out over beer, this Brewing Chemistry Basics course will help you understand the science of beer, the importance of brewing chemistry, and how chemical reactions impact the quality, flavour and consistency of your beer.
Join KPU Brewing diploma instructor Martina Solano Bielen (M.Sc. Microbiology) for four 3-hour classes at KPU’s new Surrey Civic Plaza, which is conveniently located just steps from the Surrey Central Skytrain station.
DATES + TIMES
Mon + Thur
Aug. 19, 22, 26 + 29
$250 + GST
KPU Civic Plaza Campus
Steps from Surrey Central Skytrain Station
Register at: https://www.kpu.ca/cps/brew
The program will consist of four evening classes over two weeks where participants will learn applicable brewing chemistry topics, such as concentrations, dilutions, acids and bases, pH scale and acid-base reactions, along with solving different problem sets.
In each class, the topics will be taught and the students will work together in a collaborative environment to solve different problems related to the topics reviewed in class.
· Periodic table
· Atoms and ions
· Unit analysis
· Calculating concentrations of brewing salts and additions
· Dilution/concentration of wort/beer
· Dilution of brewing chemicals
· Acids and bases
· Conjugated acid-base pairs
· Acid strength
· The pH Scale
· Calculating pH and pOH
· Acid-base indicators
· Acid-base titrations
· End point vs equivalence point
· Caustic detergent strengths
· Total acidity of beer
— Learn How To —
· Convert units
· Calculate solution concentrations (salts, sugars, additions)
· Measure pH levels
· Use titration-based kits
Register at: https://www.kpu.ca/cps/brewVisit Site »
KPU Brew—Prud'homme Beer Enthusiast Level 1 Certification Starting Aug 19
Take your passion for craft beer to the next level — get your Prud’homme Beer Enthusiast Level 1 beer certification at KPU this summer.
This introductory course in beer education and tasting is designed for people interested in furthering their knowledge and interest in craft beer. You’ll learn about brewing ingredients and processes, tasting concepts, pouring and serving concepts, and food and beer pairings.
This course is perfect for:
· beer enthusiasts
· brewery tour guides/tap room hosts
· beer sales reps
· liquor store salespeople
· anyone interested in learning more about craft beer, and food and beer pairings
Mon + Wed | Aug. 19, 21, 26 + 28, 2019
KPU Civic Plaza | Surrey
Steps from Surrey Central Skytrain station
$350 (+ GST)
Demonstrate a clear understanding of brewing ingredients
· Explain the characteristics provided by malt
· Explain the attributes that hops bring to beer
· Describe the potential benefits of using adjuncts
Illustrate a basic knowledge of brewing
· Describe the various stages in brewing in layman’s terms
· Compare and contrast two major brewing styles (ales and lagers)
· Discuss and record the various tasting components of a variety of beer styles
Integrate ingredient characteristics and beer flavours into the concepts of beer and food pairing
· Differentiate between Cut, Complement and Contrast pairing theories
· Record your personal observations of a variety of beer and food pairings
Recognize the need for quality draught beer
· Identify the issues contributing to poor quality draught beer
· Describe the troubleshooting sequences and list the three areas of concern in draught quality
· Observe common mistakes in pouring and serving draught beer and identify the benefits of pouring with foam
More details online.Visit Site »
BC Craft Brewers Conference 2019 - October 17 & 18th
The BC Craft Brewers Conference, presented by West Coast Canning and hosted by the BC Craft Brewers Guild, brings together stakeholders from the BC craft brewing industry for an annual networking and educational event which takes place during BC Craft Beer Month. 600+ attendees will form new contacts with industry peers and professionals, connect with key suppliers, and gain insight into industry innovations, initiatives and issues. There will be beer too of course! The Conference, now spanning two days includes the Conference Kickoff on Thursday evening and the Official After Party on Friday evening.
The Conference Main Event agenda features inspirational Keynotes, peer and industry-led Educational Seminars, and a Trade Show with 60 exhibitors joining us from all over North America – all showcased in a new location on Vancouver’s waterfront at the Harbour Convention Centre. The conference is divided into three tracks: Brewing Technical, Marketing, and Brewery Operation and Finance. It’s open to all levels of brewery staff and management, craft beer fans, industry partners, bloggers and media. Everyone is welcome!Visit Site »
BC Beer Awards and Festival October 19
The 10th Annual BC Beer Awards & Festival is set to return to Vancouver on Saturday, October 19th, 2019 from 4 – 9pm at the Croatian Cultural Centre. The signature consumer tasting event of BC Craft Beer Month, this festival celebrates the very best in craft brewing from across the province and hosts over 50 BC breweries.
Tickets are on sale now!Visit Site »