Role: Head Distiller
Central City Brewers & Distillers (CCBD) is seeking a passionate, technically gifted, quality-focused, enthusiastic, and qualified Head Distiller to join our brewery and distillery team. The direction CCBD follows will hinge on your ability and creative prowess as Head Distiller.
The Central City Brewers & Distillers Story
We may have started small, but we have always thought big. Starting as a brewpub in downtown Surrey, we saw the potential of what Canadian craft beer could be. And so, from a small brewery in the Vancouver suburb, Red Racer craft beer was born. The idea was to create a beer that honoured the traditions of the craft, using only the best ingredients. From there, only good things can happen.
It is this same mantra that we carried forward as we evolved into more than just a brewery and brewpub. With distilling now in our title, we approach our distilled spirits with the same care and honour as we do with our beer.
To achieve this, we surround ourselves with the most passionate individuals who share our vision. This passion drives our business, guaranteeing you get the absolute best out of us. From every can we produce, to every pint we pour, you can rest assured we have your standards covered. CCBD has won many brewing awards in its history, and even with its shorter tenure, our distillery has been recognized in many international spirit competitions, including a “Liquid Gold Award” from Jim Murray’s Whiskey Bible.
The Ideal Candidate possesses:
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a passion for quality, at least 4 years of commercial experience in distilling spirits, and a history of managing projects. We are searching for an individual who is methodical, logical, and detail-oriented with strong scientific knowledge, preferably with a brewery or distillery-related degree or diploma. An IBD Certificate/Diploma is an asset.
Some key attributes the successful candidate possesses include well-developed sensory skills for tasting and evaluating spirits, advanced knowledge of all processes involved with distillation, and excellent communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Innovation and product development: work with tasters, other spirit makers, marketers, finance, and sales to maximize the value of the spirit stock held by the distillery.
· Distillery operations: oversee every aspect of production including raw material sourcing, fermentation, distillation, maturation, blending, and bottling, ensuring the product meets all internal and external quality specifications.
· Product quality: improve the quality of the spirits produced by the distillery and create a program that samples and records the quality of the product produced and works towards improving that quality.
· Long Term Liquid Planning: plan how to age and store spirits over longer periods to meet market demand and maximize product quality.
· Work with other staff to refine the process of spirit making and defining specifications for spirit production for tasks as diverse as wood procurement and wood seasoning, along with distilling and maturation processes.
· Maintain process logs of each phase of the distillation process, and detailed records to ensure the product meets both quality and CRA Excise Duty guidelines.
· Stock management planning: active management of maturing distillery stock inclusive of sampling and blending decision making to meet and improve established product quality and consistency.
· Process establishment and continuous improvement: Establish, improve and adhere to standard operating procedures for all distilling and bottling equipment and processes.
· Staff training and development: the ability to share experiences and train staff to perform specific tasks including milling, mashing, fermenting, distilling, record keeping, cleaning, and effluent treatment.
· Food safety: adhere to, maintain, and exceeds hygiene and food safety standards as per CFIA and cGMP.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Discounted or free food
Employee assistance program
Extended health care
Paid time off
Schedule: 8-hour shift